As anyone living in Atlanta can attest, the city is prone to extreme weather conditions. From ice storms and tornadoes to thunderstorms and hurricanes, there is always something brewing in the atmosphere.
While some natural disasters are more common in certain parts of the country, that doesn’t mean that they can’t happen anywhere. For example, while earthquakes are most often associated with California, they have been known to occur in other parts of the United States.
So, if you are wondering if Atlanta is particularly prone to any natural disasters, the answer is yes and no. The city experiences its fair share of severe weather, but it is not necessarily more susceptible than any other location.
However, if you are concerned about the possibility of a natural disaster occurring while you are living in Atlanta, there are some steps you can take to prepare. Make sure you have a plan in place in case of an emergency and know where to go and what to do if a disaster strikes.
By being prepared and informed, you can help ensure that you and your family stay safe in a natural disaster.
Types of Disasters in Atlanta
Atlanta is located in the southeastern United States, which means that it is susceptible to various natural disasters. These include hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding, and winter storms.
From 1950 to 2019, there have been 26 named storms that hit within 100 miles of Atlanta. In 2018, Hurricane Michael caused an estimated $25.1 billion in damage in Georgia, making it the most expensive hurricane in state history.
While Atlanta has a low risk of wildfires, the city is not immune to fires caused by lightning strikes or other natural causes. In 2019, an Atlanta house was set on fire when lightning struck a nearby power pole during afternoon thunderstorms. The destruction also caused a power outage in the said house.
Moreover, Atlanta has an average of 48 days yearly with below freezing points and 2.9 inches of snow per year. The last time the city received a foot of snow was in 2011. While winter storms are not as common as other disasters, you should still be prepared for them. Be sure you have sufficient food and water to last for several days and warm clothing and blankets during a power outage.
Also, in early 2022, a dangerous wind storm with high winds and ice struck the southeastern part of the United States, including Georgia. The devastation caused power outages and traffic accidents. This means that you most likely need a fire and water damage restoration service in Atlanta.
How to Prepare for Natural Disasters
- An evacuation plan is one of the best ways to prepare for a natural disaster. This should include a list of items you need to take with you and a designated meeting place for your family or group.
- It’s also crucial to have an emergency kit ready. This should include non-perishable food, water, a first-aid kit, flashlights, and batteries. Consider investing in a portable generator.
- If you reside in a flood-prone area, have sandbags on hand to help protect your property.
- Learn the different types of disasters in your area and how to stay safe during each one. Listen to or watch local news and weather reports to stay updated on conditions.
- If a disaster occurs, follow the instructions of local officials and do not try to return to your house until it is safe to do so.
- Have a backup plan for communication if your cell phone service is down. This could include a landline telephone, text messaging, or social media.
- Consider purchasing flood insurance. Keep in mind that most standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage caused by floods.
- Keep emergency numbers at hand, including your local fire department, police, and other government and non-government organizations.
- Look for reputable and experienced sources that can help you with water damage, fire damage, or other repairs after a disaster, such as this fire damage restoration Atlanta experts.
The Bottom Line
Moving to Atlanta, Georgia, is a great way to enjoy all the city can offer. However, it’s essential to be prepared for natural disasters, as they can occur at any time. Be sure you have an evacuation plan and emergency kit ready, and know how to stay safe during each disaster.
Ensure you also have the contact information of reliable water damage and fire damage restoration companies (such as this water damage recovery Union City professionals) in case you need their services after a disaster.
Is It Safe to Move to Atlanta, GA?
If you’re thinking about moving to Atlanta, GA, you may wonder about the city’s propensity for natural disasters. While it’s true that Atlanta experiences its fair share of severe weather, it is not necessarily more prone to natural disasters than other cities of its size.
With the right preparation before a natural disaster, you can minimize the impact on your property and keep your family safe. If a natural disaster occurs, seek help from professionals, like this water damage restoration Union City area.